Friday, April 21, 2006

All together now: Asshat

Perhaps it's vulgar, but if we want to add a word to the dictionary that's all I need to do -- use it. I'm just planting the seed after attending a packed room for "Inside Dictionaries" with Erin McKean of New Oxford American Dictionary fame and Wendalyn Nichols of Copy Editor newsletter.

Despite the early hour, everyone walked away smarter, happier about those behemoths and eager to buy more dictionaries.

What floored me was that there are many printings before a publisher considers creating a new edition. So the WNW4 sitting at home is different (it was confirmed) than the book resting at my desk at work. It was, in my opinion, the best seminar of the conference so far.

So, against my better judgment because my boss is hopefully reading this, start using asshat; maybe it'll catch on.

And some advice: Go to the early sessions. My friend Nikos and I were up until 4 a.m. (arguably the last in the hotel) eating food we purchased from the Giant Eagle supermarket in nearby Lakewood. ... The food was half the fun, and I'll be telling all on my chapter's conference blog at copyblock.com/cleveland. (I'll be posting after lunch; I'm famished). ... But I dragged my sorry butt out of bed at 9 a.m. to make the seminar and it paid in spades. If you're here, you should try to pack as much in as you can (that includes the after-hours sessions with the "veteran" editors).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home